Today I’m going to be talking all about skincare! The skincare industry is huge right now and if you’re anything like me then you’ll find navigating through all the different products to be a bit of a minefield. You may be asking which products are worth it, what’s best for your skin type and if you really need to do a 12-step Korean beauty inspired routine. The answer is it’s different for everyone, but today I’m going to be sharing some of my favourite skincare products and explaining how I use them.
If you really want to get some in depth skincare knowledge and learn more about ingredients in products, check out James Welsh and Skincare by Hyram on YouTube. These two individuals have really helped me understand how to create a good skincare routine and what to avoid in products particularly for those with sensitive skin.
First of all, these products work for me. I have a typical dry skin type with some areas that are slightly more combination. My skin isn’t sensitive but sometimes gets a little congested in the T-Zone. These products may work for you too but be sure to try what is best for your needs! I also work for Smashbox as part of ELC companies. Some of these favourite products are from part of the ELC company and I will put a * next to them!
Section One: Moisturisers.
1. GlamGlow Glowstarter Moisturiser in Nude Glow.* This is the product I’ve been using as a makeup primer for quite a while now. It adds a lot of moisture to the skin and creates a glow due to the sheer tint in the product. It creates a beautiful skin texture for makeup and lasts a long time in terms of hydration. I will say this does have a fragrance which I enjoy but if you are more sensitive I would perhaps try something fragrance free.
2. Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturising Lotion.* This is a fantastic moisturiser and really does keep the skin continuously hydrated throughout the day. It’s very lightweight and feels amazing on the skin.
3. Swiss Clinic Eye Cream (This item was GIFTED) This eye cream is lovely! It is very cooling on the skin and great for puffiness. It’s a little expensive but really does feel amazing when applied.
Section Two: Cleansing
1. fresh Soy Face Cleanser. This face wash is lovely and I purchased it after some of my favourite skincare influencers mentioned it. It’s a great facial cleanser and doesn’t have a strong scent. It easily removes makeup and impurities from the skin and my skin doesn’t feel dry afterwards which is the biggest bonus for me.
2. Nip+Fab Dragon’s Blood Cleansing Pads. I’ve been through almost two whole pots of these pads! I tried them out one day after seeing them on sale and I really enjoy using them now. They are great to remove excess oil from the skin in a rush and just to brighten and refresh your complexion. If you need a skin pick me up these are the perfect go to and I think that these would be great for oily skin too!
Section Three: Exfoliants
1. Vitamasques Rose Gommage Peeling Gel. This is not something I use every day and it’s more of a treatment than a cleanser. This removes dead skin and impurities from the skin and therefore creates a better skin texture. This is a much more gentle form of exfoliation than a typical physical exfoliant. Things like scrubs should only be used very sparingly as they can easily make small micro tears in the skin. I use this or a chemical exfoliant instead!
2.The Ordinary Peeling Solution. This product has been very highly rated on social media and it is basically considered a mild chemical peel. I use this only once a week and for around 8 minutes, 10 is the recommended maximum. This is a chemical exfoliant meaning it helps to reduce dead skin cells and renew fresh ones. This exfoliates without the need for scrubbing. It may produce a tingling sensation so I would not necessarily recommend it for sensitive skin. You can always contact brands directly for specific advice!
3. Herbal Essentials Facial Toner. This is my everyday toner! Its easy to use and not too harsh on the skin, in fact it is quite gentle. I use this after cleansing to freshen the skin and then moisturise after. This is also unscented which is perfect for sensitive skin types!4. AlphaH Liquid Gold. This is a glycolic acid toner which is good for deep exfoliation and is preferably used at night. I always use this as part of my nightly routine and about once or twice a week.
Section Four: Masks and Treatments.
1. Ole Henrikson Phat Glow Facial. (This item was GIFTED) This mask is very refreshing and I feel like it does wonders for dullness in the skin. This is definitely exactly what I’m looking for in a mask. You massage it into the skin and then wash off which leaves the skin feeling plumped and revitalised creating a beautiful skin texture.
2. Makeup Revolution x Jake Jamie Watermelon Mask. This is specifically marketed at being good for dry skin and it really does boost hydration. I use this when I really want to make my skin look nice and never more than once a week usually. It is fragranced so be aware if you are sensitive to that.
3. Clarins Booster Serum. I add this into my night creams and it helps with scarring and any small blemishes. I find this helps to fade certain areas and really improves any discolouration in the skin. I would definitely recommend this if you struggle with any scarring issues.
Section Five: Honourable mentions not pictured here.
These items are some of my favourites that I currently don’t own because they’ve run out and it’s currently a bit difficult to get a hold of certain products! A lot of places are low in stock but regardless these are some honourable mentions.
1. PIXI Glow Tonic. I’ve been through loads of these and I love them so much. If this works for your skin type I would definitely recommend trying it out. This is a lovely toner!
2. La Mer The Tonic.* This is a very pricey item which is why I haven’t bought a new one. However it is a fantastic tonic and makes my skin feel AMAZING. I’m definitely going to treat myself to it again one day.
3. Mabel and Meg Lumilixer Serum. I loved this when I had it and now I’ve run out I realise how much I miss using it. It was definitely one of the best serums I’ve used after trying some others.
4. MILK Makeup Cooling Stick. This is a great product for adding some extra hydration and it really smooths and plumps the skin nicely. I use this one in the summer a lot!
5. Bobbi Brown Detox Mask.* This mask is fantastic for blackheads and controlling oil production in the T-Zone. As this dries you can see where blackheads were and its very satisfying!
I hope you enjoyed this post!